Student Intern Needed for Whirligig Park
From Kofi Boone – Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture at NCSU:
I’m working on the conceptual design for Vollis Simpson whirligig park in Wilson, NC. For those unfamiliar with Simpson’s work, here’s a link to an NY Times article:
The Town of Wilson has purchased a 2-acre parcel in downtown and will secure 32 of Simpson’s works. The site is currently vacant (formerly the site of a cemetery and later railroad -oriented warehouses). I will participate in a design workshop with an interdisciplinary team in late July.
I’m requesting the assistance of a student intern to help prepare for thew workshop. We have been asked to produce a site study model including to-scale representations of simpson’s work for use in the workshop. The student intern would be asked to:
- coordinate with the city of wilson on gathering base map information
- developing a study model representing topography, streets, adjacent buildings, etc.
- developing simple representations of each of simpsons 32 works to be displayed.
Preliminary timetable and budget ($15/hour):
- Internship begins by July9th
- Work must be completed by July 19th
- 2 hours for coordination and securing documentation
- 4 hours for translation of base info into model-appropriate materials, and assembly of the model (study quality–the model will be manipulated during the charrette)
sub-total: 6 hours–$90 labor
model building materials–$110
Per workshop planning there may be an opportunity to join in the park design workshop.
If interested, please contact: kofi boone, asla at email@example.com